Tuesday 5 June 2012

Ireland football : Trappatoni, Foley and a change of heart

Irelands Kevin Foley


In my first year in secondary school I was due to be a part of a quintet singing group at the end of year concert. I'd told my parents about it and I'd taken plenty of time off class, then the night before the concert I was pulled from the group. The teacher in his wisdom realized I couldn't sing and that he'd had a bit of a brain fart when he picked me. Realizing what a sensitive young fellow I was he offered to take me back into the group if I'd mime. I wasn't prepared to do that and I didn't take part in the concert so I fully appreciate Kevin Foleys position on not staying with the squad.
Today I forgive that teacher , he did the right thing by the group and I can see that now.
This memory gives me something of an insight in my own head at least towards Trapattoni's decision to cut Kevin Foley loose albeit with the chance to hang with the squad during the tournament if he so wished. The reason offered is that too many of Irelands centre halves are carrying minor injuries and that Irelands seventh defender should have the versatility to play in the centre. Foley for his part has stayed relatively quiet on his exit allowing family members to speculate about whether he would play in Euro 2012 if an injury forced his hand. The main quotes attributed to Foley tell us how disappointed he is and portray a feeling of betrayal but don't quite let us know whether he'd return to the squad in an injury crisis. Trappatoni has understandably tried to move on from the situation as quickly as possible pointing out that he also feels betrayed and insisting the focus should be on players in the squad.
Looking at the nuts and bolts of the call Trap has clearly shown that pragmatism will always win out over sentimentality. Foley who has played intermittently for Wolves in the second half of the season is seen as a right back and who could possibly be used as a midfielder rather than a full back who can fill in at centre half. McShane has been used regularly for Crystal Palace in the second half of the season but has played at centre half and right back. One key stat which might have been considered prior to the call is goals conceded in recent games. In four of Foleys last seven games Wolves have conceded four or more goals. McShane on the other hand has been a part of a defence which has conceded a maximum of two goals in their last seven games. The much maligned McShane has definitely been a positive force for Crystal Palace in defence and most supporters would like the club to find a way to keep him. His wages at Hull rumoured to be around £25000 pound per week is the main reason this isn't likely to happen. He offers extra height and physicality compared to Foley and is considered to be a mentally strong individual. All of these factors would have played into McShane's hands. Foley in hindsight was a luxury player in the squad who at best was third choice at right back behind Kelly and O'Shea. Hes been a consistent player in the premiership for Wolves and a loyal servant to Trapattoni but ultimately the versatility he offers in terms of being able to cover the right side of midfield isn't the type of versatility this squad requires right now.
I believe Trapattoni has made the call because if O'Shea or Dunne were to become injured Trapattoni has realized he'd like to give them every chance to prove their fitness for the next game rather than call on a replacement. Essentially he has admitted that the composition of his initial squad was flawed. Trapattoni will move on from this error there are plenty of other areas which can be improved on and he will focus on these. Foley will move on too and hopefully pull on a green jersey at some stage in the future. Me, I've sung my last note.
    

1 comment:

  1. Nonsense, you're still trying to sing at every opportunity. Your life is like a Broadway musical!!!!

    ReplyDelete